“I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.” – Bruce Lee
As an Affiliate Marketer, you must have heard the term “niche” countless times in your life. But do you know what a niche is and why is it so important that every guru emphasizes it adamantly?
If you are a pro Affiliate Marketer, please go through and let me know if my simplified blog makes sense. And, if you are a beginner, please go through my simplified post and let me know if it made sense. (Humour intended 😀 )
In this post, I will explain what a niche is along with the broad categories of niche and why choosing a niche is extremely important. This is another blog where I try to share my knowledge in a simplified manner so, please read on.
(1) What is a Niche?
- In simple words, a niche can be defined as a segment of a broader market. For example, in the health space, there is a market for yoga, exercise, diet, etc.
- In the above example, health is the broad market, and yoga, exercise, and diet are segments.
- So, if you are passionate about health or fitness, you can choose it as your niche. Now, fitness is a broad market. Within fitness, you can utilize the power of yoga, lifting weights, cardio, dieting, and so on.
- What you should ideally do is choose one segment of the broader market, okay?
- When you drill down and focus only on one segment, you can better understand the market needs and serve your audience well. For example, if you choose yoga as your niche, you can help people to stay fit, both mentally and physically, and establish your authority.
- And believe me, there is a market for everything.
(2) How Can You Choose Your Niche?
- If you have this question, you are not alone. “How can I choose my niche?” is the most commonly asked question by my students.
- In response to your question, I will ask one of the following questions
- What are you passionate about?
- What is that one thing which drives you?
- What is something that you can do without getting tired?
- I will request you to please choose a niche based on your passion. Many beginners make the mistake of choosing the most profitable product but lose hope when they don’t see sales.
- If you do not choose a niche based on your passion, you will lose interest and may even quit. Choosing the wrong niche is one of the many reasons why Affiliate Marketers fail.
- And, it is not mandatory to choose your niche today itself. You can introspect, take your time and then finalize your niche. Do not hurry!
- If you want to change your niche after choosing one, you can go ahead. I know one very successful digital marketer who changed their niche 21 times.
- In a nutshell, you should choose your niche based on your passion.
(3) Why is Choosing a Niche Important?
- There are a number of reasons why choosing a specific niche is extremely important. For example, if you publish posts about fitness and technology, your audience will get confused as to what you really stand for.
- This diversity in content will make people question if they are on the correct platform.
- Other than your audience getting confused, branding is another aspect where you will face problems. Will you position yourself as a fitness expert or a technology geek? So, no matter how much you love the two topics, choose one and create content only of that topic (niche).
- However, if you really love both the topics and can provide value to your audience, I would recommend you to create a different website for each.
- The third reason why you should choose a niche is to get Organic Traffic from Google. When you focus only on one niche, it is crystal-clear to Google, to you, and to the visitors what your website is about. According to my research, if you create content around a particular niche, your authority on that niche increases.
(4) Categories of Niche
- According to my mentor Mr. Siddharth Rajsekar, there are 6 broader categories or market segments or niche, as follows:
- Business Growth
- Every type of business in the world is always aiming to scale. Some have the required tools, tactics, and personnel who can help them grow.
- However, if you know businesses who you can help to grow, you can choose this niche. You can help businesses to grow their sales, revenue, Return on Investment (ROI), Return on Ad Spends (ROAS), profit, etc.
- Career Growth
- If you can help working professionals to grow in their career, you can choose this niche. Let me explain this with the help of an example. And for this example, I will consider an imaginary name – Archana. (If any Archana is reading this, welcome to my website! 😀 )
- Suppose Archana loves web development. Now, do you think she can help working professionals? OK, before you tell me your answer, let me share a fact – According to WebsiteSetup, there are over 1.7 billion websites on the Internet! O.O
- Given the situation in the entire world, every business is moving online. When you run a business on the Internet, you will definitely need a website. Now, do you think web development has a huge scope? (Let me know your answers in the comments box below)
- So, if you can help working professionals, (or in our case, web developers) they will be ready to pay you.
- Here’s the thing, people will always want to stay healthy. So, if you can help them in any way to stay healthy, they will be ready to pay you and you can choose this niche.
- You can help people lose or gain weight through yoga, diet, exercise, etc.
- Look, people will always want to earn more money.
- If your current CTC is ₹7 lakhs per annum, you will want ₹10 lakhs per annum. If your current CTC is ₹10 lakhs per annum, you will want ₹12 lakhs.
- No matter how much people earn, they will always want more. So, if you think you can help people to make money – online or offline – you can choose this niche.
- People will always want to have a better relationship with their kids, spouse, partner, colleagues, parents, and so on.
- If you think you can help people to have better quality relationships, you can choose the Relationship niche.
- In this niche, you can help people to improve their sketching, dancing (I need this 😛 ), singing, drama, poetry, etc.
- If you are a dancer and you can help people, they will be ready to pay you.
- One of my acquaintances is a dance instructor and she teaches people from the US from the comfort of her home. And she makes a sustainable income out of it.
- So, if you are good at any form of arts, you can pick this niche and create a business around it.
Do you want to master Affiliate Marketing?
Learn the 3 principles and secrets to excel at promoting people’s products in our free training!
- As an Affiliate Marketer, you must have heard the term “niche” countless times in your life. But do you know what a niche is and why is it so important that every guru emphasizes it adamantly?
- In simple words, a niche can be defined as a segment of a broader market. For example, in the health space, there is a market for yoga, exercise, diet, etc. So, if you are passionate about health or fitness, you can choose it as your niche.
- The niche that you choose should be based on your passion. So, if you ever find yourself asking “How can I find my niche?”, ask another question, “What am I passionate about?”
- Now, why you must choose a niche has many reasons, of which the top 3 are:
- People will get confused: If you post content about, for example, fitness and technology, people will get confused as to what you stand for and they could also think that they are on the wrong platform.
- Branding: When you love a number of things, how you position yourself becomes difficult. Will you call yourself a fitness expert or a tech geek? If you love multiple topics and you can provide value, you can create a different website for each.
- Organic Traffic from Google: When you focus only on one niche, it is crystal-clear to Google, to you, and to the visitors what your website is about. According to my research, if you create content around a particular niche, your authority on that niche increases.
- Now that you understand what ia niche is and why it is important, you can choose your niche from the below categories:
- Business Growth
- Career Growth